Friday 28 October 2011

Neobalanocarpus heimii (cengal) "Crown Shyness" Phenomenon







I do believe that the nature phenomenon of "crown shyness" of Dryobalanops aromatica (kapur) is well-known to many foresters or forest lovers. The reason for its name is because the leaf tips of the Dryobalanops aromatica appear to be shy towards their own kind, hence forming the gap.

Typical strange natural phenomenon of Dryobalanops aromatica "crown shyness".

At first thought, only Dryobalanops aromatica has this kind of unique phenomenon, but nature prove me so wrong. On 13th October 2011, while Me and Kamal have a sightseeing along the Bukit Bujang road at Forest Research Institute of Malaysia Kepong, we discovered a major breakthrough here.


The discovery began with the encountered what we believe is an artificial Neobalanocarpus heimii (cengal) forest compartment at Bukit Bujang, FRIM Kepong.

Artificial "cengal forest" at Bukit Bujang forest compartment, Forest Research Institute of Malaysia Kepong, Malaysia.

A typical dark-coloured scaly bark of Neobalanocarpus heimii (cengal).

As a member of Dipterocarp family, cengal also produce resin that called "damar penak" to the local.

Then, everything went exciting when we entering the cengal forest compartment. I looked up to the tree top and what we found then, walla! The "crown shyness" of Neobalanocarpus heimii (cengal)!! Here, I attached photos that proved the "crown shyness" phenomenon also occurs in Neobalanocarpus heimii (cengal) when they are tend to be gregariously otherwise both my eyes have been witched there is nothing but the truth lies inside. I really don't have any ideas whether this phenomenon had discovered earlier by FRIM or I'm just the one who always missed the train. Anyway, I'm proudly to say that it is my most cherish moment in my entire career committed to forest protection.

A very distinct gap between Neobalanocarpus heimii crowns forming a "crown shyness" as in Dryobalanops aromatica(kapur).

Another shot of cengal "crown shyness" phenomenon.

Its all up to my fellow blog readers whether to believe it or not, but trust me, there is nothing impossible as long we live in very "bumi Allah" here. Feel free to visit FRIM or go to  FRIM's website at www.frim.gov.my to experience this kind of phenomenon by your own to help proving me wrong.

Remember, there is no victory without sacrifice!

With regard:
Mr. Zaril Faizal b. Zaral Gaffar
CW101 Course Lecturer
28 October 2011

2 comments:

  1. dammar chengal macam ikan....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I also observed this phenomenon at Puchong forest reserve. There were 5 big chengal trees and there was crown shyness above.

    The only thing I am not 100% sure is whether those trees are chengal, because it seems that Puchong has MANY chengal. I am very interested to confirm with you. I took many photos of them there, as I go there often.

    If you want to see the photos, please contact me at the contact page of my site, or my email at svelpmegod at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


Popular Posts

terapi jiwa

terapi jiwa




My Blog List

@forest dweller

@forest dweller